User credentials – such as payment cards, loyalty cards and access control cards that have traditionally been encoded onto plastic cards or provisioned to smart cards – are increasingly being provisioned to, and used from within mobile applications and devices. A number of different technologies have been developed and are commercially deployed that allow for the secure provisioning, storage and utilization of these user credentials on mobile devices.
The Secure Technology Alliance Mobile Council aims to build industry awareness around the business and security impacts of utilizing different technologies for distributing, storing and using secure credentials on personal mobile and tethered wearable devices. The Council believes raising awareness will facilitate broader discussion on creating standards. The Council will create resources to help implementations and accelerate the adoption of payments, loyalty, marketing, peer-to-peer, identity, and access control applications using mobile and tethered wearable devices. The Council focuses on activities that will help to educate the industry on implementation and security considerations and will act as a bridge between technology development/specification and the applications that can deliver business benefits to industry stakeholders.
Download description of Council mission, activities and membership.
Mobile Council Activities
Mobile Council activities focus on accelerating market adoption of secure mobile applications. Council activities include:
- Providing educational resources for organizations offering or implementing secure mobile applications and services
- Providing a business-focused organization where all industry stakeholders can collaborate, network, share implementation experiences, and discuss implementation and security considerations for new mobile applications
- Identifying and collaborating with other industry organizations to discuss, define and promote standards for secure mobile implementations
Mobile Council Resources
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 101: A Technology Primer with Example Use Cases, Smart Card Alliance Mobile white paper, June 2014
- EMV and NFC: Complementary Technologies Enabling Secure Contactless Payments, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and Payments Council white paper, December 2015
- EMV Tokenization webinar, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinar, November 3, 2016
- Host Card Emulation (HCE) 101, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council white paper, August 2014
- Host Card Emulation: An Emerging Architecture for NFC Applications webinar, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinar, June 2015
- Identity on a Mobile Device, Identity Council webinar series recordings
- Mobile/NFC Security Fundamentals webinar series, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinars, March-May 2013
- Mobile and NFC Standards Landscape, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council resource documents, November 2012
- NFC Application Ecosystems Webinar Series recordings, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinars, September/October 2012
- Mobile Identity Authentication, Secure Technology Alliance Mobile Council white paper, March 2017
- NFC Non-Payments Uses Cases, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council white paper, December 2015
- Supporting the PIV Application in Mobile Devices with the UICC, Smart Card Alliance white paper, June 2013
- Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) 101: A Primer, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council white paper, April 2018
The Council is managed by a cross-industry steering committee composed of stakeholders from all facets of mobile/NFC technology, applications and services.
Steering committee officers are:
- Sadiq Mohammed, Mastercard
- Sridher Swaminathan, First Data
- Vice Chair: Damon Kachur, G+D Mobile Security
Current steering committee members are:
- Maarten Bron, UL
- David deKozan, Cubic
- Imran Hajimusa, Verifone
- Damon Kachur, G+D Mobile Security
- Peter Ho, Wells Fargo
- Umesh Kulkarni, FIS Open Test Solutions
- Sadiq Mohammed, Mastercard
- Chandra Srivastava, Visa
- Sree Swaminathan, First Data
- David Worthington, Rambus Bell ID
The Mobile Council is one of several Secure Technology Alliance Technology and Industry Councils, a focused group within the overall structure of the Alliance. Council participation is open to any Secure Technology Alliance member who wishes to contribute to the Council projects.
The Secure Technology Alliance recognizes the top three individual contributors in each of the industry councils and the council “honor roll” – the individuals who were leading contributors and participants in the council projects and activities.
Organizations who are active in the Mobile Council include:
- Accenture LLP
- American Express
- Burden Consulting Ltd
- CardTek USA
- CPI Card Group
- Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc.
- Datawatch Systems
- Discover Financial Services
- Entrust Datacard
- Exponent, Inc.
- First Data Corporation
- G+D Mobile Security
- HID Global
- Identification Technology Partners
- Infineon Technologies
- Interac Association / Acxsys Corporation
- Intercede Ltd.
- IQ Devices
- Jacobs CH2M
- Kona I Co., Ltd.
- NXP Semiconductors
- Quantum Secure Inc.
- SecureKey Technologies
- Underwriter Laboratories (UL)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Valid USA
- Visa Inc.
- Vix Technology
- Wells Fargo
- XTec, Incorporated
For more information about the Mobile Council or for more information on becoming a member of the Alliance, please contact the Alliance office via email at [email protected] or via telephone at (800) 556-6828.