The Secure Technology Alliance Transportation Council is focused on promoting the adoption of interoperable payment systems for transit, tolling, parking and evolving mobility services and technologies. The overall goal of the Transportation Council is to help accelerate the deployment of standards-based secure payment programs within the transportation industry by engaging in projects that support transportation organization implementation goals for integrated payment systems and mobility as a service.
Transportation Council projects support the advancement of transit fare collection systems and explore linkages between and integration among transit payment systems and programs in the tolling, mobility services and financial industries.
- A Guide to Prepaid Cards for Transit Agencies, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, February 2011
- EMV and Parking, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, May 2016
- Multimodal Payments Convergence – Part One: Emerging Models and Use Cases, Secure Technology Alliance Transportation Council white paper, March 2017, developed in collaboration with the Association for Commuter Transportation
- Multimodal Payments Convergence – Part Two: Challenges and Opportunities for Implementation, Secure Technology Alliance Transportation Council white paper, November 2018
- Near Field Communication (NFC) and Transit: Applications, Technology and Implementation Considerations, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, February 2012
- Planning for New Fare Payment and Collection Systems: Cost Considerations and Procurement Guidelines, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper and Excel cost model, March 2010
- Reference Enterprise Architecture for Transit Open Payment System, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, March 2016
- Serving Unbanked Consumers in the Transit Industry with Prepaid Cards, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, June 2008
- Transit and Contactless Open Payments: An Emerging Approach for Fare Collection, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, November 2011
Transportation Council officers are:
- Vice Chair – Mobility: Brian Stein, Brian Stein LLC
- Vice Chair – Transportation: Josh Martiesian, Visa
The Council is managed by a steering committee that includes a broad spectrum of leaders from the transportation agencies, financial services providers, systems integrators, consultants and technology providers. Current steering committee members include:
- David Block-Schachter, Transit app
- David deKozan, Cubic
- Brittany Esdaile, Sound Transit
- Gary Googins, Vix Technology
- Nicole Hansen, Invoke Technologies
- Mike Hughes, Worldpay
- Kathy Imperatore, Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO)
- Amy Jenks, Scheidt & Bachmann
- Arash Kahvazadeh, Mastercard
- Rhonda Marx, American Express
- Tina Morch-Pierre, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Murat Omay, Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- Tom Prestia, TransLink
- Eric Reese, Bytemark
- David Weir, Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)
- Burt Wilhelm, Discover Financial Services
The Transportation Council is open to participation from vendors and transit organizations that join the Alliance and the Council.
The Secure Technology Alliance recognizes the top three individual contributors in each of the industry councils and the council “honor roll” – the individuals who were leading contributors and participants in the council projects and activities.
Secure Technology Alliance members who are participating in the Transportation Council include:
- ACI Worldwide
- American Express
- Brian Stein, LLC
- Bytemark, Inc.
- Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc.
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Discover Financial Services
- Exponent, Inc.
- Infineon Technologies
- Interac Corp.
- Invoke Technologies
- KONA I Co., Ltd.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission
- NXP Semiconductors
- Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO)
- Scheidt & Bachmann USA
- Secure Element Solutions LLC
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA)STMicroelectronics
- Sound Transit
- Thales DIS USA, Inc.
- Tri County Metropolitan Transportation District of Oregon
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
- Utah Transit Authority
- Visa Inc.
- Vix Technology
- Wells Fargo
- XTec, Incorporated
Transportation Council participation is open to any Secure Technology Alliance member who wishes to contribute to the Council projects.
For more information about the Transportation Council or for more information on becoming a member of the Alliance, please contact the Alliance office via email at [email protected] or via telephone at (800) 556-6828.