The Secure Technology Alliance Transportation Council is focused on promoting the adoption of interoperable payment systems for transit, tolling, parking and evolving mobility services and technologies. The overall goal of the Transportation Council is to help accelerate the deployment of standards-based secure payment programs within the transportation industry by engaging in projects that support transportation organization implementation goals for integrated payment systems and mobility as a service.
Transportation Council projects support the advancement of transit fare collection systems and explore linkages between and integration among transit payment systems and programs in the tolling, mobility services and financial industries.
- A Guide to Prepaid Cards for Transit Agencies, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, February 2011
- EMV and Parking, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, May 2016
- Multimodal Payments Convergence – Part One: Emerging Models and Use Cases, Secure Technology Alliance Transportation Council white paper, March 2017, developed in collaboration with the Association for Commuter Transportation
- Multimodal Payments Convergence – Part Two: Challenges and Opportunities for Implementation, Secure Technology Alliance Transportation Council white paper, November 2018
- Near Field Communication (NFC) and Transit: Applications, Technology and Implementation Considerations, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, February 2012
- Planning for New Fare Payment and Collection Systems: Cost Considerations and Procurement Guidelines, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper and Excel cost model, March 2010
- Reference Enterprise Architecture for Transit Open Payment System, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, March 2016
- Serving Unbanked Consumers in the Transit Industry with Prepaid Cards, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, June 2008
- Transit and Contactless Open Payments: An Emerging Approach for Fare Collection, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, November 2011
Transportation Council officers are:
- Chair: Jerry Kane, Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA)
- Vice Chair – Transit: Tina Morch-Pierre, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Vice Chair – Tolling: Carol Kuester, Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) and Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA)
- Vice Chair – Parking: Michael Hughes, Worldpay
The Council is managed by a steering committee that includes a broad spectrum of leaders from the transportation, financial services and smart card industries. Current steering committee members include:
- Francois Baylot, Thales
- Jeff Beach, Visa
- Patrick Comiskey, NXP Semiconductors
- Jamie Geleynse, G+D Mobile Security
- Michael Hughes, Worldpay
- Kathy Imperatore, PATCO
- Jerry Kane, SEPTA
- Arash Kahvazadeh, Mastercard
- Carol Kuester, MTC and BATA
- Rhonda Marx, American Express
- Tina Morch-Pierre, DART
- Burt Wilhelm, Discover Financial Services
The Transportation Council is open to participation from vendors and transit organizations that join the Alliance and the Council.
The Secure Technology Alliance recognizes the top three individual contributors in each of the industry councils and the council “honor roll” – the individuals who were leading contributors and participants in the council projects and activities.
Secure Technology Alliance members who are participating in the Transportation Council include:
- ACI Worldwide
- American Express
- Benefit Resource, Inc.
- CPI Card Group
- Cubic Transportation Systems
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Discover Financial Services
- First Data Corporation
- G+D Mobile Security
- Infineon Technologies
- Interac Association/Acxsys Corporation
- Invoke Technologies
- KONA I Co., Ltd.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission
- NXP Semiconductors
- Port Authority of NY/NJ
- Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO)
- Scheidt & Bachmann USA
- Secure Element Solutions LLC
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA)STMicroelectronics
- Tri County Metropolitan Transportation District of Oregon
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Department of Transportation/Volpe Center
- Utah Transit Authority
- Visa Inc.
- Vix Technology
- Wells Fargo
- XTec, Incorporated
Transportation Council participation is open to any Secure Technology Alliance member who wishes to contribute to the Council projects.
For more information about the Transportation Council or for more information on becoming a member of the Alliance, please contact the Alliance office via email at [email protected] or via telephone at (800) 556-6828.