Smart Card Alliance Announces New Executive Board Members
New York, NY, October 10, 2001–The Smart Card Alliance today announced the election of its 2002 Executive Board of Directors. The seven member Executive Board was elected by the Alliance’s Board of Directors at their Annual Meeting in Tysons Corner, Virginia. The Executive Board will lead and direct Alliance activities for the year ahead.
Paul Beverly from SchlumbergerSema was elected Chairman of the Alliance. Mr. Beverly, Vice President for Smart Cards at SchlumbergerSema in North America, has led a global career in marketing, sales, and general management during his 16-year tenure at Schlumberger.
“I’m looking forward to continuing to build on the strong progress that the Alliance has made. During its first year of existence, the Alliance has completed many important projects, including establishing a baseline of smart card usage in the US and Canada that can be used to measure future market growth,” said Mr. Beverly. “I look forward to working with our Board and our membership to expand on our efforts and articulate the strong business case for smart card programs in the year ahead.”
The new Executive Board also includes:
- Vice-Chairman, Bill Randle, Executive Vice President of Huntington Bank
- Technology Vice-Chair, Michael Weekes, Principal for Business Development for IBM’s Global Smart Card Center of Competency
- Treasurer, Bob Wilberger, Director of Smart Card Initiatives, at Northrop Grumman Information Technology
- Assistant Treasurer, Sandy Morris, Vice President of Member Development at MasterCard
- Secretary, Kevin Gillick, Head of Corporate Marketing at DataCard
- Assistant Secretary, Gilles Lisimaque, Senior Vice President at Gemplus
The Board’s priorities for 2002 include: addressing growing public security and privacy concerns, continued cross-industry discussions on technology standards, and other activities designed to promote the adoption of smart cards in the United States.
Last week the Alliance named five new members to its current 25 member Board:
- David Bonalle, Vice President and General Manager of Advanced Payments Programs, at American Express
- Thierry Burgess, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing, at Oberthur Card Systems
- Alison Colquhoun, Vice President of Smart Card Business Development, at First Data Resources
- Jennifer Spade, Managing Director for e-Solutions IP/Hosting Sales, at WorldCom
- Guy Tallent, President and CEO of Identrus
Kirk Brafford Vice President and Principal Consultant at Xansa was elected as the Auditing Observing Director on the Board.
“Each of these individuals is a leader in their field and brings a wealth of experience to our organization. Their contributions will be key to Alliance efforts as smart cards continue to gain momentum in the United States,” said Alliance President and CEO, Donna Farmer.
The announcement was made at the Smart Card Alliance’s Annual Meeting, in McLean, VA. The Meeting brings together hundreds of smart card industry leaders for three days of education and conference programs focused on the crucial opportunities and obstacles facing businesses, government and individuals in this new era of digital trust.
About the Smart Card Alliance
The Smart Card Alliance is a not-for profit, multi-industry association of over 100 member firms working to accelerate the widespread acceptance of multiple application smart card technology. Through specific projects such as education programs, market research, advocacy, industry relations, and open forums the Alliance keeps its members connected to industry leaders and innovative thought. The Alliance also is the single industry voice for smart cards, leading industry discussion on the impact and value of smart cards in the U.S. More information about the Alliance is available at http://www.securetechalliance.org.